• Kickstarting Clothes/Swap Cincinnati


    MFA Thesis: Clothes Swap Cincinnati

    My MFA Thesis project investigating how clothing swaps create opportunities for dialogue through the act of trading garments.

    •  Launched: Mar 12, 2013
    •  Funding ends: Apr 1, 2013

    In grad school I have been working in and out of the studio to make works that are related to place in which I'm creating small seeds for dialogue with the members of my community.  my blog from last year's work and process is objectsofobjects.blogspot.com.
    The idea of focusing on clothing swaps as the subject of my research came from thinking about the separation that exists here in Cincinnati, between the University and the City, and the people from neighborhood to neighborhood.  I have not lived here very long, and noticed the divisions immediately.
    I see clothes swap events as something I have done throughout my life as a way to purge, share with friends, and to care for others once loved things.  The concept of making clothes swap events public, and inclusive - or as inclusive as possible - not only involving women, but all genders and ages, struck me as a way to create communal gatherings, in which people could come together for a reason other than being involved in work or shopping, to engage with acquaintances, friends and/or strangers to experience unexpected intimacy.
    My thesis show will be in Cincinnati, with a reception on Friday, April 12th from 6-8.  You are all invited!!!!
    Please help me make this thesis make an impact on Cincinnati.  Your support helps me create events in places that will include the most amount of participants, a do-it-yourself Clothes Swap book, and will help me to create a large scale installation for the Thesis exhibition.  My goal is $1,000 - which will help me to organize more events, print catalogues (which I will send to you) and other costs associated with a large-scale exhibition.

    0 comments → Kickstarting Clothes/Swap Cincinnati

    Post a Comment